Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 09 August 2024, 16:25   #1

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Suzuki Keyless Start - problems when replacing the battery to the boat

Went to change over the old battery with a new battery this morning, simple you might think, but no, not for me.

On reinstalling everything, went to start the engine - nothing.
On turning the key, buzzer sounded with a few short beeps, but the multi-functional gauge didn't come on.
I had the electronic key fob nearby, and with the kill cord attached, still the multi-function screen was dead as a dodo.

Normally it comes on and is good to start, with a push of the key.

Anyway, long story and frustrating as hell, with me fiddling around trying various fuses, nothing seemed to work.

Just about to give up, I decided to disconnect the main battery cables off the newly installed battery, shut everything down, wait a few minutes, then made sure the isolator switch was turned off, reconnected the positive first, then the negative, turned on the isolator switch, turned the key, buzzer and multi-function gauge came on, pushed key, it started.

What I suspect, was with me leaning in under the console, trying to access the nuts on the terminals of the battery, must have jigged about (on/off connection), and buggered up the sequence for the keyless system.

So, bear it in mind, even the simplest of jobs you might think, caused a nightmare in sorting....
I just think, it must reset itself after a period of time, but isolated from any power and my fiddling with the cables.

I now agree with all the comments concerning start/stop/keyless start systems, being to complicated for it own sake...
Old 09 August 2024, 17:07   #2

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
There was a thread on here a while ago about these Keyless systems. The consensus was I think don't have them. No need to complicate that which was simple and worked for years
Old 09 August 2024, 17:19   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
A goods heads-up for anyone else who doesn’t listen to the wisdom here, and comes across the same issue in the future…...but I’ll stick with my pull start I think….complicated enough for me

Tags
suzuki