Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 11 November 2020, 07:19   #21

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hello folks

A short episode today as I didn't do any filming whilst staying on the Orkney mainland. Here is a flavour of this magical island group.

We travel from Westray to Kirkwall via Stronsay. The weather forecast is bad with force 8 gales predicted to we decide to hunker down in Orkney for a couple of days before setting back south. We take the chance to explore Orkney.

Keith Hart
SIB Man
Old 12 November 2020, 08:19   #22

Good morning folks

The Great Orkney SIB Expedition - Day 11, Kirkwall to Amble.

The day starts early, 05.00 hours, and is rough. Fifty miles off-shore in the middle of the Moray Firth, Magellan Alpha bursts the front tube. We limp into Peterhead to effect a repair, and 90 minutes later we are on our way again. Fourteen hours after leaving Kirkwall we arrive at Amble.

Keith Hart
SIB Man
Old 13 November 2020, 07:38   #23

The Great Orkney SIB Expedition - Day 12, Amble to Lowestoft.

Keith Hart
SIB Man
Old 14 November 2020, 08:48   #24

Hello all

The Great Orkney SIB Expedition 2003 - Day 13, Lowestoft to Brighton. The penultimate day of our round Britain RIB trip.

Keith Hart
SIB Man
Old 16 November 2020, 08:49   #25

The Great Orkney SIB Expedition 2003 - Day 14, Brighton to Torquay. The last day of our trip, 14 days after setting out we arrive back at Torquay from the other direction!

Back home safely, but what happened to SIB Man next?

Keith Hart
SIB Man
Old 16 November 2020, 11:51   #26

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
It's an interesting thread, Keith. But who paid the bills!
Old 16 November 2020, 12:09   #27

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
really enjoyed this Keith thanks for posting I hope you enjoyed reliving it too
Old 19 November 2020, 09:13   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
It's an interesting thread, Keith. But who paid the bills!
Thank you.

All the costs of Cyanide (fuel, berthing etc.) were very generously paid for by Brian. Mike & Di paid their own expenses and I paid for Quicksilver's expenses (a very small fraction of the overall cost). So you see that without the generosity of Brian and Mike & Di, the expedition would never have happened.

Keith Hart
SIB Man
Old 19 November 2020, 15:26   #29

Excellent. You must have extreme persuasive powers!

I guess everyone is considerably older nowadays. Do you know whether Magellan Alpha is still about?
Old 19 November 2020, 19:01   #30

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Keith , thoroughly enjoyed the Scottish sections of the " box collection " ! Some of the tales of Caledonian cruising from this era spurred me into heading North . I was lucky enough to meet Doug Crockett and " Scotsribs " who opened up a whole new world of ribbing possibilities up there . I think our paths crossed briefly at the inaugural RIBnet " Plymouth " Cruise ? I also met Brian and Mike on a couple of occasions . Top blokes !

Anymore of these video gems hidden away ? Bern
Old 20 November 2020, 10:06   #31

Not so far as I know Bern, sorry.

So, whatever happened to SIBman after this epic adventure?

A couple of years later we moved up permanently to our home in the Scottish Highlands in a coastal fishing village on the Moray Firth, and of course Quicksilver came with us.

I explored the coastal area near to us and the Cromarty Firth. I also took the SIB over to the West Coast and particularly remember some exciting and spectacular trips into Loch Glencoul and Edrachillis Bay (mentioned in the videos). I was running a photographic business at the time and even took some clients out with me in the SIB!

Eventually in 2014 Quicksilver was sold. The engine went to a neighbour and the SIB and trailer went to a young lad over in Morayshire.

****WARNING**** Non SIB or RIB related content!

We purchased a motorhome which we had for a couple of years and went exploring Europe. The motorhome was sold and....

...we purchased a second hand caravan! I thought that I'd whisper that as it sounds like I lost my marbles!

However, in the same spirit of adventure that I undertook The Great Orkney SIB Expedition 2003, having spent a couple of winters in the sun, Aldalucia and The Algarve, the call of adventure took hold again. in 2019 we purchased a brand new and larger caravan (note I'm not whispering now) and set off on another adventure.

Inverness to Marrakesh 2020

We took the caravan down through the UK, on the ferry to Santander, down through Spain to Algeciras (near Gibraltar) then loaded onboard our outfit another ferry and sailed over to Africa!

I can tell you that you don't see may caravans in Morocco, indeed we only saw two others whilst we were there (and they were Germans), plenty of European motorhomes but no other UK caravanners. It was another epic adventure.

Then having returned to Spain and settling in Portugal, so we thought, for the rest of the winter, the pandemic hit. We were thrown out of Europe and had to make a mad dash back to the UK via Calais and Euro Tunnel. There were no campsites open so we stayed the night in truck stops on the way, getting from The Algarve to Calais in just 4 days. BTW Morocco was brilliant and we will be back there for an even longer visit as soon as conditions allow.

****WARNING**** Boat related content that includes sails!

However, I have not abandoned boating altogether. Down in The Algarve I have been out sailing in my cousin's daughter's husband's yacht (complicated but I'm sure you can work it out). Now that is a very different experience to being in a big RIB. The thing was leaning over at about 45 degrees and I was sure we would capsize!

The exciting news is that Dave (Cousin's Daughter's Husband) is a qualified yachting instructor and he now has a RIB and is teaching RIB courses!

I have also been on my cousin's boat which he lives on in Vilamoura Marina (very posh).

I also have a Kayak at home which I use in the bay.

So, SIBman is still having adventures, but of a different kind.

The Great Orkney SIB Expedition 2003 and Inverness to Marrakesh 2020 have taught me that if you chase your dreams they can come true. My philosophy on life is GOYAADI - Get Off Your Arse And Do It!

So that's you all up to date. Thanks for joining in....

Keith Hart
SIBman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cromarty.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	135641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	135642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	135643   Click image for larger version

Name:	reid 30.5.6 005.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	135644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	135645  

Old 20 November 2020, 10:12   #32

...some more photos.

Keith Hart
SIB Man
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030463.JPG
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	135646   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040990.JPG
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	135647   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070707.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	135648   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070711.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	135649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kylesku.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	135650  

Old 20 November 2020, 10:15   #33

...and finally.

Camped at Marrakesh and in the desert in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains.

...there is another great adventure in the planning...but that is for another forum!

Keith Hart
SIBman
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030118.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	135651   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030209.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	135652  
Old 21 November 2020, 08:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Excellent. You must have extreme persuasive powers!

I guess everyone is considerably older nowadays. Do you know whether Magellan Alpha is still about?
Hello JW,

I don't know if Magellan Alpha is still about but I can tell you this, MA was sold to a couple of Ribnet lads; Michael Tapp and Dan Hawkes formerly of RIB you might remember - Top Banana. They operated her commercially in the North Sea for a few years. They sold it on to the Swedish police, after which Mike lost track of it.

After Magellan Alpha came Megellan Zulu and with its twin engines Mike & Di went off and did a lot of long distance trips on their own.

Now comes Magellan Delta

Magellan Delta was designed by Mike and built from aluminium in Estonia before being trucked back to the UK in mid 2019, as production of the Cox CXO300 outboard diesels was behind schedule.

Mag Delta is a RBB - a Rigid Buoyancy Boat - specifically designed around the Cox engines. It has solid foam tubes cut on a 5-axis CNC machine. It is 11m long and carries up to 2,000 litres of diesel in 4 pairs of tanks. The fuel can be moved around by pump for boat trim.

It has berths for up to a crew of 4 and is designed for adventuring in high latitudes, up among the ice. In that context it has a crash-proof watertight bulkhead dividing the 2 cabins up forrard.

I've seen design pictures and believe me it looks absolutely stunning, like a Bond villain's stealth boat!

Well folks that's y'all just about up to date.

Have fun, make your dreams come true and don't be afraid of failing, only be afraid of failing to try.

Keith Hart
SIBman
Old 21 November 2020, 17:08   #35

Thanks for that, Keith. If you're in contact with Mike and Di, encourage them to post their boat updates on Ribnet. I'd certainly be interested to hear about them and their boats and I'm sure others would too. We could do with a bit of serious meat to feast on!
Old 22 November 2020, 10:23   #36
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Thanks for posting all the vids Keith, I certainly had a fun few days with you in Orkney. Particular big thanks to Brian for having me aboard Cyanide for the duration.

Mike and Di’s new boat sounds very interesting and it would be definitely be good to hear more about it and their adventures.

Tags
sib