Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 04 July 2023, 09:42   #1

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
Thoughts on this RIB for sale...?

Looking at buying my first RIB after sibbing for years.

Whar are peeps' thoughts on this RIB and the Yamaha o/b?

Thanks guys.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325709452...mis&media=COPY
Old 04 July 2023, 12:00   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamair View Post
Looking at buying my first RIB after sibbing for years.

Whar are peeps' thoughts on this RIB and the Yamaha o/b?

Thanks guys.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325709452...mis&media=COPY
Those engines are great I wouldn't be too concerned as long as its tidy & runs well. The boat wouldnt be top of my list, they are usually pvc & I've seen lots that seem to suffer from glue failure & just generally dont seem to age well (although that one does look clean) looking at the bids its got already I doubt its going to be a bargain. The other problem is being ebay you cant get a sea trail which is a big no no unless the seller is willing to demonstrate it after the bids close I would pass
Old 04 July 2023, 12:27   #3

Many thanks for that sage advice. I was a bit hesitant... I currently own a 3.1m Yamaha Sti and 8hp Yam o/b from 2005. Both are bullet proof tbh... Happy to stay with Yam engine.

Any recommendations for RIB? Total budget is flexible ish, but don't really want to exceed around £6k. Or, is there a SIB worthy of a look? Obviously will have inferior performance.

Cheers.
Old 04 July 2023, 13:00   #4

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Those engines are great I wouldn't be too concerned as long as its tidy & runs well. The boat wouldnt be top of my list, they are usually pvc & I've seen lots that seem to suffer from glue failure & just generally dont seem to age well (although that one does look clean) looking at the bids its got already I doubt its going to be a bargain. The other problem is being ebay you cant get a sea trail which is a big no no unless the seller is willing to demonstrate it after the bids close I would pass
The engine is listed as a 4 stroke, its a 2 stroke autolube. The lack of auto trim would put me off more than the pull start.

The RIB looks similar to the zodiac pro , the tubes may be removable if it is.

If you can wait for the autumn/winter to buy one , the prices drop plus you have some time to prep the boat.
Old 04 July 2023, 15:52   #5

Quote:
Many thanks for that sage advice. I was a bit hesitant... I currently own a 3.1m Yamaha Sti and 8hp Yam o/b from 2005. Both are bullet proof tbh... Happy to stay with Yam engine.

Any recommendations for RIB? Total budget is flexible ish, but don't really want to exceed around £6k. Or, is there a SIB worthy of a look? Obviously will have inferior performance.

Cheers.
For 6k budget you couldn't go far wrong with a good sr4, the fact there are so many old cheap ones around means good later model ones seem to struggle to get the money they deserve which is good for you. Try & find a nice standard late model, the one without the moulded internal floor & a 40 or preferably a 50hp & you'll not regret it. Those older Yamaha 40/50hp 3 cylinder 2 strokes are ideal & go realy well but with a 6k budget you may find one with a more modern 4 stroke. I can't see the point in a larger sib that needs trailered when apart from storage & price a rib is better in every other way only imho.
Old 04 July 2023, 19:05   #6

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Try & find a nice standard late model, the one without the moulded internal.
Just because I nosey Ken, what would you say is a late model? No I'm not in the market to buy, but I'll never say never
Old 04 July 2023, 23:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Just because I nosey Ken, what would you say is a late model? No I'm not in the market to buy, but I'll never say never
Considering they came out early 70's & many old ones still survive, I think the last ones were built around 2020? (Not 100%sure) so I'd say anything 2000's onwards was late model.
If the op thinks one may suit there's 2 searider Facebook groups & boats often pop up for sale on them
Old 05 July 2023, 17:01   #8

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
My 4.5 Narwhal is excellent. That looks ok but I would want Power tilt and trim on the motor.

Don't worry about the whole PVC/Hypalon thing if it is in good nick it dont matter what it is made of
Old 05 July 2023, 20:57   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
£6k is a tight budget and we’re in mid summer, so don’t expect a deal. I’m still amazed by EBay prices by the way. That might get you an old Avon 4m, Zodiac Pro 7 or 9 man or Humber Assault.

This is on Boatshed Wales. Probably the cheapest Ribcraft 4.8m I’ve seen. Yamaha 70hp is bullet proof with lots of spare parts available. Yes it’s 1996, but it depends how it’s been stored.
https://www.boatshed.com/ribcraft_48m-boat-323245.html

Goes without saying, use due diligence and ask the right questions.
Old 05 July 2023, 22:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
£6k is a tight budget and we’re in mid summer, so don’t expect a deal. I’m still amazed by EBay prices by the way. That might get you an old Avon 4m, Zodiac Pro 7 or 9 man or Humber Assault.

This is on Boatshed Wales. Probably the cheapest Ribcraft 4.8m I’ve seen. Yamaha 70hp is bullet proof with lots of spare parts available. Yes it’s 1996, but it depends how it’s been stored.

Any of those would be better than the narwal originally posted, heres another older 4.7 searider with 70 yam not a total bargain but in budget with a bit of negotiation they do crop up if you can be patient enough
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ok_story_share
Old 06 July 2023, 05:23   #11

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post

I would move quickly on that ribcraft before someone else does
Old 06 July 2023, 20:18   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Any of those would be better than the narwal originally posted, heres another older 4.7 searider with 70 yam not a total bargain but in budget with a bit of negotiation they do crop up if you can be patient enough
Completely agree. I’d have something old and that’s belt and braces in terms of build quality. I’m usually wary about posting links, but hey all is fair in love and war. The Searider 4.7 is pretty rare, compared to the 5.4 which is usually paired with a Yammie 90hp.
Old 07 July 2023, 12:19   #13

Thanks for all your advice guys. Decided to sit tight and look at a lot more before purchasing anything.

Avon Ribs look decent. Seen a few that I like.
How old is too old? Looking at using on lakes and estuaries/ possible sea in calm weather.

Cheers all.
Old 07 July 2023, 21:50   #14

Quote:
Thanks for all your advice guys. Decided to sit tight and look at a lot more before purchasing anything.

Avon Ribs look decent. Seen a few that I like.
How old is too old? Looking at using on lakes and estuaries/ possible sea in calm weather.

Cheers all.
Age isn't realy an issue its condition & build quality that matter you can see 10 year old boats that need retubing because of heavy use & poor care but you might also find a 25 or 30 year old boat in pristine condition if its been well loved & stored inside away from the ravages of uv damage. I'd rather have a good condition quality hypalon well cared for 25+ years old than some lesser makes at 5-10 years old. You need to see & trail the boat you are looking to buy, do not decide based on pictures alone & try to buy from an enthusiastic owner who knows the boat inside out. Beware buying from the guy who knows nothing about his boat cos he just bought it a few months ago & "doesn't have time"
Old 08 July 2023, 07:59   #15

Like the look of this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115853759554?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=F5UKWIAoQby&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=DtgLIK_3RG u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Is the market dropping? It looks cheap to me.
Old 08 July 2023, 09:09   #16

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
It's being sold by paul sparkes, a member on here. Details on thread called "2002 Ribcraft 585".
Old 08 July 2023, 11:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trello View Post
It's being sold by paul sparkes, a member on here. Details on thread called "2002 Ribcraft 585".
Cheers, very enlightening.

Tags
for sale, rib, rib for sale, sale