Click Here to Login

Old 20 July 2017, 17:45   #1

Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
Time to install an automatic bilge pump

Okay, at lunchtime today I pumped as much water as I could out of the hull of the RIB (using a hand opperated bilge pump), waited for the tide to come up to the slipway and at 5:30 I got the RIB on it's trailer. I then drained 16 liters of water from the hull (which weighted 18kg). I accept that its the shape of the hull and position of the hand pump but I feel an automatic bilge pump is needed. Something like this looks like it should do the job:
Rule 500 Computerised Auto Bilge Pump 12V | Force 4 Chandlery

I need it to pump up and over the transom so no more than 1m for head which seems fine. that one pumps 28l per minute but I wonder if I should go for the 66l/per min version to be safe Rule 1100 Computerised Auto Bilge Pump 12V | Force 4 Chandlery

Now, I would be worried that if I had one of these and left it operating when the boat is moored for a week or two without use it may end up running the battery flat. I guess the solution is some sort of solar charger.

I know nothing about solar chargers so are there any solutions that are plug and play?

thanks
Old 20 July 2017, 19:13   #2

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
I've just replaced my rule 500 pump after 9 years with a similar pump. To my cost, when putting in new one, found it wasn't the pump faulty but an intermittently faulty manual switch on the console.

Your chosen pump will be fine, no need to go for the increased volume.

Bear in mind, the only problem I had was that the hose connected to it has a mind of its own. It tends to take its own shape and kinks, not necessarily in the way you want it to. It then makes it difficult to secure the pump flat to the deck in the upright position. You can stick the strainer to the deck, but I found that made it impossible to reach the pump in order to clean it. Secured it down with cable ties in the end.
The other examples of rule pumps come with two types of hose outlet spigots, making it better to find the right orientation of the hose. Useful.
Old 20 July 2017, 19:15   #3

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
This was the one with the spigots

Rule Mate 500 Submersible Bilge Pump 12v - TCS Chandlery Ltd

Also, if the pump is not stuck down or cable tied, it will float to the surface which obviously defeats its objective.
Old 20 July 2017, 19:55   #4

Thank you, I'm going to have to stick it down or wedge it somehow, I have a plan.... famous last words. Now, all I need to do is find a suitable solar charger to keep the battery going.

Whilst out messing with the boat just now, I found air 4 leaks also, one on each of the 5 tubes. That's good news in a perverse way as now I either need to fix them myself or find an expert, personally I'd like to find somebody who knows what they are doing.

Does anyone know of a good tube patcher near Lymington?
Old 20 July 2017, 23:07   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Scott at RibRepair is just up the road: Rib Repair – Emergency Repairs & General Servicing .

He did some good work on my tubes when I first bought the Ribtec that's holding strong after 4-5 years.
Old 24 July 2017, 09:18   #6

I've spoken to Scott and he is going to take a look at the tubes and offer advice on fitting an automatic bilge pump.

Thanks for the help
Old 24 July 2017, 13:17   #7

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Excellent - I was very happy with his work on my boat (and I went to him following other recommendations on here!), so hopefully will work out well for you too.
Old 24 July 2017, 13:27   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Okay, at lunchtime today I pumped as much water as I could out of the hull of the RIB (using a hand opperated bilge pump), waited for the tide to come up to the slipway and at 5:30 I got the RIB on it's trailer. I then drained 16 liters of water from the hull (which weighted 18kg). I accept that its the shape of the hull and position of the hand pump but I feel an automatic bilge pump is needed. Something like this looks like it should do the job:
Rule 500 Computerised Auto Bilge Pump 12V | Force 4 Chandlery

I need it to pump up and over the transom so no more than 1m for head which seems fine. that one pumps 28l per minute but I wonder if I should go for the 66l/per min version to be safe Rule 1100 Computerised Auto Bilge Pump 12V | Force 4 Chandlery
When you say you

Now, I would be worried that if I had one of these and left it operating when the boat is moored for a week or two without use it may end up running the battery flat. I guess the solution is some sort of solar charger.

I know nothing about solar chargers so are there any solutions that are plug and play?

thanks
Drained from the Hull or did you mean Deck??
A Jiggle syphon Pipe works well on water as well as Fuel by the way.

An auto bilge won't be opperating much unless it's torrential rain over a long period...I've never had a problem leaving mine on ...even in Scotland
(I have TWO Whale auto pumps in the Bilge well on deck.. Single 12v Battery on a 7m) for a couple of weeks....and if you're a regular user/charger with a decent Battery should not present any problem.

If you're still concerned a 12v Power Plant/Carstarter will surface to get Her started so you can charge the Battery in the conventional way on a run....and be ALOT LESS hassle/expence than buying and then rigging/maintaining a Sloar Charger...which take up room and are pretty Crap anyway...unless you want to dig deep!
Of course the other option is to use/purchase a decent cover.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 13:45   #9

Nope, I meant the hull.
Water gets in from somewhere, I think the front hatch and then runs down the length of the boat and collects at the sturn. The only way to get it out is to open the drain plug on the transom and it needs to be out of the water for that. To be fair the boat has been on my driveway since last week and with all this rain I've had to drain out a large amount of water.
Old 24 July 2017, 13:50   #10

Quote:
Nope, I meant the hull.
Water gets in from somewhere, I think the front hatch and then runs down the length of the boat and collects at the sturn. The only way to get it out is to open the drain plug on the transom and it needs to be out of the water for that. To be fair the boat has been on my driveway since last week and with all this rain I've had to drain out a large amount of water.
Well THAT should be you're main priority....stopping the ingress!

There is something pretty wrong if it's letting in that amount,which in turn will effect performance and in time Hull integrity...and may be a quick fix

Old 24 July 2017, 13:53   #11

It's just rainwater i think mainly, other than the splashes across the bow. There is now way water can get into a boat while it is on-land is there other than rain.

I honestly don't think the water ingress is an issue, but I would like to have an automated way to pump it out when it does built up.
Old 24 July 2017, 14:33   #12

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Engine: 150 HPDI
Quote:
I then drained 16 liters of water from the hull (which weighted 18kg).
Do you live near Sellafield?

Old 24 July 2017, 14:35   #13

I was wondering why the water was glowing in the dark...
Old 24 July 2017, 14:44   #14

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Engine: 150 HPDI
area of boat = 7 x 2 = 14m2
3 inches of rain equates to 1 tonne of water in the boat. 500 gph = 2250 lph
so it'll empthy in 1/2 hr, drawing 2 Amps = 1Ah
So a months worth of downpour will use less than 2% of a typical battery.
I wouldn't bother with a solar charger, unless you want it to maintain a battery for a protracted perioD
Old 24 July 2017, 14:52   #15

Thank you Simon - that is so helpful indeed.
Old 24 July 2017, 16:31   #16

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
i have the small automatic one for general drainage from rain, spray etc connected directly to battery and a second bigger one mounted on a 30mm block hooked to a switch for if the ''s..t'' hits the fan!
Old 24 July 2017, 16:38   #17

Quote:
It's just rainwater i think mainly, other than the splashes across the bow. There is now way water can get into a boat while it is on-land is there other than rain.

I honestly don't think the water ingress is an issue, but I would like to have an automated way to pump it out when it does built up.

If it's on dry land and beside you're house that's the issue.... and you don't want to bother looking for/fix the entry point into the Hull..... a cheap Tarp will keep it dry surly that's the easy way to go??
Still think your Barking!
...up the wrong tree that is

Old 24 July 2017, 17:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

If it's on dry land and beside you're house that's the issue.... and you don't want to bother looking for/fix the entry point into the Hull..... a cheap Tarp will keep it dry surly that's the easy way to go??
Still think your Barking!
...up the wrong tree that is
I'm not saying there is an entry point in the hull, I'm pretty sure all the water is coming from above or from bow waves entering the forward locker.

It's off to Scott soon to patch the tubes and I've asked him to look at the hull at the same time.
Old 24 July 2017, 21:00   #19

Length: 3m +
If your hull is designed to be dry inside, then its worth trying to fix it.

It should be easy enough to find the leak. Get a bit of garden hose. Put it in the drain hole. If need be wrap it in electrical tape to make the O/D of the pipe larger. Attach other end to an air pump (the one for your tubes for example) - again using electrical tape if required.

Mix some washing up liquid in a bowl and use a sponge on every fitting, seal and join to apply some bubbles. Pump air in - put plenty in but don't explode the hull!! You know you put enough in if it hisses when you remove the pipe!

Look for growing bubbles.
Old 25 July 2017, 07:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
If your hull is designed to be dry inside, then its worth trying to fix it.

It should be easy enough to find the leak. Get a bit of garden hose. Put it in the drain hole. If need be wrap it in electrical tape to make the O/D of the pipe larger. Attach other end to an air pump (the one for your tubes for example) - again using electrical tape if required.

Mix some washing up liquid in a bowl and use a sponge on every fitting, seal and join to apply some bubbles. Pump air in - put plenty in but don't explode the hull!! You know you put enough in if it hisses when you remove the pipe!

Look for growing bubbles.
I don't think it's designed to be "dry" as there is nothing to stop water going in the front hatch and then down the length of the hull. I'm taking it to Scott next week so he can investigate.