Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 April 2021, 14:16   #21

Town: Gloucestershire
Length: 7m +
As a follow-up question to all you helpful people:

I don't know if realistically I will be purchasing this year. Covid, running a business, 7-month-old baby etc. Also, prices are apparently through the roof compared to previous years so with limited use in 2021, it might be worth taking a couple of day charters rather than buying ASAP.

Longer-term, I am interested in longer cruises (Scilly Isles) etc, so would it be worth taking RYA intermediate/advanced/offshore etc in my own boat, or using a training school boat?

Do many of you have these qualifications, or do you rely on years of experience?
Old 16 April 2021, 14:36   #22

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I'll speak from a parallel hobby - motorcycling but I think it will be the same. The training will open your eyes as to what you can do and how to do it. The years of experience cements that knowledge into your everyday actions.

I don't think it will matter whether it's your boat or a school boat as the training is more aimed at how you act.

A seven month old - it sounds like the ideal time to buy. If you delay, you might find a brother / sister is on the way and then you're really 'screwed'.
Old 16 April 2021, 19:19   #23

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Badlands
Make: Brig Eagle 8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 350
MMSI: 232030310
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSam View Post
This sounds a lot like me! I want to explore Cornwall, but having been a surf instructor and beach lifeguard at Sennen (with PWC training) many years ago, I have first-hand experience with how bad it can actually get... I also LOVE the idea of longer cruises when I'm capable and qualified
Absolutely, if you have been RNLI at Sennan Cove then you know more than anyone what that coast can be like! I keep my Rib at Rock and motor up and down to St. Ives a lot. Not been anything too crazy yet, but even moderate seas and and a 20mph NE onshore wind was enough for me. I would not like to have been in that in anything less than a 7 to 8m I'll be honest. I am also looking like you at longer cruises to the Scillies and may have a run this summer weather permitting. May have to be a solo run as my family still wary of the seas for a run like that. I have also planned a run down to Sennan / Longships / Lands End, but dont know those waters as well as Rock, Stepper Point, St. Ives so waiting on a decent day or two when I am already moored in St. Ives.
Old 17 April 2021, 09:24   #24

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Harbinger
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 200
MMSI: 232 013 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSam View Post
As a follow-up question to all you helpful people:

I don't know if realistically I will be purchasing this year. Covid, running a business, 7-month-old baby etc. Also, prices are apparently through the roof compared to previous years so with limited use in 2021, it might be worth taking a couple of day charters rather than buying ASAP.

Longer-term, I am interested in longer cruises (Scilly Isles) etc, so would it be worth taking RYA intermediate/advanced/offshore etc in my own boat, or using a training school boat?

Do many of you have these qualifications, or do you rely on years of experience?

RYA Intermediate is another 2 day course (like the PB2) but is aimed more towards passage planning than learning new boat skills. I wouldn’t see a great benefit in own boat tuition.

It is often underrated but it fills a lot of gaps for someone with a PB2 who is now looking to explore further afield. VHF SRC is also a good idea, as is a decent first aid course.

Advanced PB has some pretty rigorous prerequisites https://www.rya.org.uk/courses-train...powerboat.aspx. That would be a lot of chartering so you’ve probably got your own boat by then anyway.

Good luck.
Old 17 April 2021, 21:35   #25

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50 View Post
RYA Intermediate is another 2 day course (like the PB2) but is aimed more towards passage planning than learning new boat skills. I wouldn’t see a great benefit in own boat tuition.

It is often underrated but it fills a lot of gaps for someone with a PB2 who is now looking to explore further afield. VHF SRC is also a good idea, as is a decent first aid course.

Advanced PB has some pretty rigorous prerequisites https://www.rya.org.uk/courses-train...powerboat.aspx. That would be a lot of chartering so you’ve probably got your own boat by then anyway.

Good luck.

Good advice but I’d say own boat tuition can also be very useful depending on the instructor of course!
If it’s out of RYA curriculum you can take advantage of instructor to look over your boat/ safety equipment. Helm instruction relevant to you and your vessel, instruction for the kind of trip you want to do and possibly a load of stuff you never thought of!
I did my advanced pb training and exam on my own boat and gained some of these benefits as well.