Old Yesterday, 19:31   #1

Town: Canton
Boat name: na
Make: BRIG
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 9.9
Transom repair advice

I am new around here and looking for advice on how to repair a separating transom. Materials, glue, techniques. I have what is probably early 2000's Brig Dingo 300 made of Korean PVC. it is separating on the top starboard side about 6 inches. I will attempt to post pictures of the good side and describe how it seems to be structured to support the transom. Then some pics of the damaged side.

Hopefully 3 pictures are attached somewhere. I went through the "upload" process.

There appear to be 4 layers are work attaching the transom. The lowest layer seems to be a rectangular patch like thing that runs all the way from the bottom of the transom attached to the hull about 6 inches wide.

The next layer is the framing fabric that directly attaches to the transom itself and also to about an inch of the hull on both side, running all the way from the bottom to the top.

Third is a circular patch at the very top of the transom. I suspect that a 1 inch wide by 3 inches long strip was cut out of this and it runs right across the top of the transom.

Finally, the 4th layer is a semi-circle piece of fabric that exists ONLY on the transom top itself, not attaching to the hull.

I will post the problem side next if this works out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1625.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	146318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1626.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	146319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1627.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	146320  
Old Yesterday, 19:42   #2

damaged side of the transom

The first post worked, so hopefully the pics work in this one as well.

Kind of speaks for itself. As I described, there seem to be 4 layers to the transom attachment. On this damaged side, it seems like the middle 2 layers of the 4 have ripped and become unglued. The deepest rectangular layer looks ok. The actual transom framing fabric is torn, as is the circular patch that sits on top of it. The semicircle of the highest layer looks ok.

So I am looking for general commentary and/or specifics on how to deal with this. Although I have zero experience, I generally repair things myself. Looking for advice on what to do, what fabric and glue to use and where to get it, and general wisdom of those that have come before me. I'm not looking for brand new. I'm looking for something that will hold together through moderate use for at least a few years if that is feasible. I actually go the boat free with the motor, so not a lot of emotional investment at this point. I have had it on the water and it works well but for the transom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1628.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	146321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1629.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	146322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1630.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	146323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1631.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	146324  
Old Yesterday, 20:13   #3

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
I've also answered this in your other post:-

Just looked at the specs for your Dingo 300 SIB, it's actually a sib not a rib.
Firstly I would question "if it holds air for 8 hours that's good enough". I wouldn't want to be in a sib that's just "good enough".
It is a pvc sib that is 20 i'sh years old. I'm assuming (can't find it in the specs) that the seams are glued and not welded.The glue on pvc sibs isn't renowned for lasting 20 years (10+ years and you are doing well)
The transom coming away from the tubes and that you have slow leaks may indicate that the glue on the seams is starting to fail.
Old Yesterday, 21:52   #4

Steve seems to be suggesting (in the other thread where i introduced myself) that the solution to this problem is a complete replacement of the transom. I am looking for a less aggressive initial solution if at all possible.

Anyone have an opinion on whether I couldn't I just remove some of the existing reinforcement pieces, reglue the hull to the transom where it is separated and then apply some new reinforcement pieces on top of that in similar fashion to what it was originally.

Those circles that act as reinforcements look like more than just patches. They look specifically designed as reinforcements. Would this less involved, less expensive approach be a reasonable first attempt to solve this issue?

I am not looking for a brand new, fully functional, bombproof solution. I am looking for something that will work with moderate use for a few years.

thx
Old Yesterday, 22:00   #5

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
I was not suggesting a complete transom replacement whatsoever. I said the article may be of help.
Your repair will need to follow the same procedure to rebond one side of your transom to the tubes.
You can't just "reglue" the transom to the "hull". The transom will need to be bonded to the tubes using new transom side pieces, the originals on your sib have been torn off which can clearly be seen in your pictures.

Tags
repair