Old 14 December 2005, 23:24   #1

Town: Borders
Boat name: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid diesel
tube construction

Im thinking about getting a set of new tubes for the Pac 22. Ive looked at a couple of different makers, and was wondering if the construction of hypalon tubes varied between manufacturer.

I have noticed that some have overlapped joins below the seam tape, some have but joints, some dont have seam tape on the joins, and some have seam tape inside and out on an overlapped joint!

The latter being on my set of tubes. Does anyone know what is the done thing, or should i just go with what ever the manufacturer offers me?

Secondly, thickness. Most people go for a standard weight material, but on bigger boats or heavy boats such as the pacific, we are given the option of the heavier material which most were built with. They are now often ordered with the standard lighter weight hypalon. Does this make much difference to strength, or just to abrasion resistance? Im sure once the tubes are inflated, you cant tell the difference.

It seems that tubes are never really talked about in depth, despite being probably the most important part of a rib, well they are responsible for the 'i' in 'rib' !
Old 15 December 2005, 08:06   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
When I spoke to Paul Tilley a couple of months ago he did say there was a difference in quality of the material from the various suppliers. Thankfully my P22 came re tubed with heavy weight material, but if it hadn't then price would have been a consideration which I think is why peeps often chosen the standard material over heavy weight stuff.

I sat in an Avon 5.6m Adventurer last night and was reminded how good the quality and tube work from Avon is, but then they make there own tube material.

Would be worth visiting several of them given the cost of re tubing a rib. Nothing quite like seeing the different materials first hand. Eurocraft in Leyland are probably the nearest.

Pete
Old 15 December 2005, 08:57   #3

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
pete avon no longer make their own fabric as they are now french owned they use penell fabric i think . jack there are two normal types of joint ie butt joint ,normally done with same grade inner and outer seam strips as tube material approx 2ins wide , or overlap joint normally min 20mm over lap with inner and outer seam tapes which can also vary in size i have seen them as small as 12mm ,the problem with outer seam tapes around the circumference is that they tend to be lifted by water pressure to solve this we use a 40mm overlap with 50mm internal tapes only on the 13mtr ribs we tube which seams to work .the difference in strength of the materials is that the tear and tensile strength are approx 50% better for the 1670dtex 1500gsm fabric compared to the 1100dtex 1300gsm fabric from pennel .hope this helps
Old 15 December 2005, 09:11   #4

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I’ve got MOD spec. Henshaw tubes that are almost 10 years old and other than matlow inflicted damage they are very good, might be worth spending extra Des
Old 15 December 2005, 09:51   #5

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: 150 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I’ve got MOD spec. Henshaw tubes that are almost 10 years old and other than matlow inflicted damage they are very good, might be worth spending extra Des
Chatted with Henshaw about a re-tube and they were most helpful. Reckoned the military spec is overkill for civvy use, and quoted circa £3500 to make a set any colour I wanted. I'd have to fit them though as removing and re-fitting 1,000,000 self tappers would bump up the labour costs.
Old 15 December 2005, 11:52   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Paul Tilley had a refurbished P22 tube avalible at a very good price a month or so ago......
Old 15 December 2005, 14:15   #7

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
.......... I'd have to fit them though as removing and re-fitting 1,000,000 self tappers would bump up the labour costs.
I’ve done this and providing you position the tube correctly and number the Ali strips as you take them off so you can get them back in the original position, it’s easy Des
Old 15 December 2005, 14:42   #8

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Reckoned the military spec is overkill for civvy use,...
If the military spec tubes have a significantly longer life expectancy, their extra initial cost may prove to be more economical in the long run. Kinda like vehicles, if I were to choose between 2 vehicles of similar size, lay out, features & comfort level, but one was built to last 4 times as long with less total maintenance, but cost twice the price of the other, the purchase is still a no brainer.

As the saying goes, when you buy quality & you only cry once. Or another way of saying it is you can buy oats before the horse eats them or after.

(sermon mode off )