Old 29 April 2006, 12:11   #1

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Tube Pressure

Getting the right pressure in the tubes is vexing me!

When the boat is at rest, the tubes seem to be about the right pressure. Perhaps they are a little bit on the soft side but we are are cautious about inflating them too much in case the dark tubes heat up.

As it is, when we get motoring the cold water and passing wind seem to have the effect of cooling the tubes and lower the tube pressure even more.

Should we simply be pumping the tubes up more when at rest?
Old 29 April 2006, 13:45   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Don't over pressure them - just think - which is easier to burst - a balloon that is a bit saggy or one that is pumped to the max?

Having said that the pressure relief valves should vent off if the pressure builds to much.
Old 29 April 2006, 13:49   #3
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Mine are the same, taught when the sun is out and soft at night.
Old 29 April 2006, 15:06   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I have the same problems - and mine don't have pressure relief valves fitted, Humber say I could retro-fit them and they would supply them but I am not that keen on cutting holes in my tubes! got enough already

but I would be much happier with relief valves fitted and would definitely specify them on a new boat

anybody know what pressure most relief valves will blow off at??
Old 29 April 2006, 15:42   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
5 pints of Bitter dose it for me!
Old 30 April 2006, 10:25   #6

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
I have the same problems - and mine don't have pressure relief valves fitted, Humber say I could retro-fit them and they would supply them but I am not that keen on cutting holes in my tubes! got enough already

but I would be much happier with relief valves fitted and would definitely specify them on a new boat

anybody know what pressure most relief valves will blow off at??
I bought new from Humber last year. Got dark blue tubes. Humber told me they recommend pressure relief valves on blue & black tubes as the darker materials absorbed heat quicker. Optional on other colours as they did not heat up as quickly. Didn't make much sense - might take longer to get 'up to temperature' but will still get there in the end. I do find that if the tubes get hot and 'let off steam' they often need pumping up again next time around. That bit does make sense - blow off hot air - less left in the tubes - cools down - goes soft .... a bit like .... no lets not go there.
Old 30 April 2006, 10:37   #7

Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
we've had two new avon adventures now, obviously with dark blue tubes but do not come with pressure relief valves, which really is surprising and i don't think you can get them as an extra. Maybe their fantastic reputation with tubes means they can withstand it. Anyone know if they do do them?

Cheers Freddie
Old 30 April 2006, 11:46   #8

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pike
I bought new from Humber last year. Got dark blue tubes. Humber told me they recommend pressure relief valves on blue & black tubes as the darker materials absorbed heat quicker. Optional on other colours as they did not heat up as quickly. Didn't make much sense - might take longer to get 'up to temperature' but will still get there in the end. I do find that if the tubes get hot and 'let off steam' they often need pumping up again next time around. That bit does make sense - blow off hot air - less left in the tubes - cools down - goes soft .... a bit like .... no lets not go there.
The logic in not fitting valves to light coloured tubes is flawed in some cases though, like in my boat which has orange tubes (all RIBs should be orange in the same way all Jaguars should be British Racing Green) but a large proportion of the inside part of the tubes is covered in a black reinforcing patch for divers etc to sit their butts on, and guess which bit gets really hot sitting in the sun! I notice a huge difference in tube pressures between calm sunny days and cold windy ones and its a friggin nuisance when I had it in the water if I went for an early morning spin, had to pump it up and then let it down again when I got back! So my boat has "light tubes" but also has "very dark tubes"....
Old 30 April 2006, 14:14   #9

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermob
Maybe their fantastic reputation with tubes means they can withstand it. Anyone know if they do do them?
We have one of the little grey Avon tenders and we have always pumped it up as hard as it will go. I even stand on the pump to get that last little bit of air in to it! We have never had any leaks or splits with it.
Old 30 April 2006, 16:28   #10

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
would always spec pressure relief valves- we have them on the black boats and the yellow one. If you leave the boat in the open as we have on holidays and the sun comes out later in the day its nice to know the tubes are not in danger of splitting. Happened to a certain inshore lifeboat years ago-left out in the sun and pumped up hard out on display on lifeboat day-split more than one compartment! An expensive mistake.
Old 30 April 2006, 18:30   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I was building Zapcats last week and it might surprise you to know that they run those at 6 PSI in race mode and inflate to 5 fo test.

The general level of toob inflation is between 2 and 3 psi so pump em up to 2.4 at midday and you should be cool, pressure gauges aren't that dear so you could get one and see what the toobs reads when the soft/hardness concerns you

FWIT I tend to run my toobs at the lower end of the preesure spectrum, but that's just personal nuffing Scientific
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote