Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
OK.........

But I'd also suggest there's numerous other practices that are far worse than a fixed mooring chain in a small localised area, like dredging and trawler fishing which decimates massive areas of the sea bed.
Your exactly right scallop dredges are like underwater ploughs ripping up the entire habitat never to recover.
In comparison a mooring chain is small fry and unlikely to be in a particularly sensitive area which cant always be said for the areas the scallop dredgers operate
Old 19 February 2020, 09:32   #22

Town: Drogheda
Boat name: Sea Borne
Make: Stormforce 750
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300hp
Willks Setup

Willk any chance of a picture of your setup???

My setup: I use two Dyneema lines for mooring. Both are spliced to a single thimble and attached to the pickup chain. They then run inside a reinforced plastic hose to the bow eye where one is spliced to the Snap shackle (which is the Primary hold) and the other runs through the closed end of the snap shackle and continues up and over the tubes (again in a tight hose) until it arrives at the anchor cleat where it ends in a spliced loop that forms the secondary hold. The advantage here is two attachment points and no loose lines to wrap around the mooring buoy and fray on chain.
Old 19 February 2020, 19:29   #23
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper1 View Post
Willk any chance of a picture of your setup???
Not tonight!

I can probably get a pic over the next few days though. Off the mooring it just looks like a bundle of rope
Old 01 August 2020, 20:28   #24

Town: Otley
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140
Hi Willk

Did you ever get around to taking some pics of your mooring setup ?

I am also just about to put my 585 on a swing mooring for a couple of months , so am lookin for ideas other than rope !!!

Thanks in advance

Ian
Old 02 August 2020, 12:51   #25
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Hi Willk

Did you ever get around to taking some pics of your mooring setup ?
No - I completely forgot then there was Coronavirus...

I took one for you today though!

It's kinda skew-wiff - the chain represents where it is shackled to the riser and main buoy (A5 in my case). The pair of strops are spliced to the big rusty thimble and enter the protective hose together wrapped in cheap blue poly for protection. As they exit to the right, the main strop is spliced to the snap shackle - this clips to the bow/towing eye of the RIB. The secondary strop passes THROUGH the closed eye of the snap shackle and in use, rises close to the hull and passes inboard over the tubes (shielded by the second tubing) and ends in a spliced loop that attaches to the samson post in the bow. The small buoy on the end is the pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mooring strops.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	134452  
Old 22 August 2020, 08:06   #26

Thanks for the reply and photo Willk

I do apologise for my tardy reply ... I saw it days ago , but have always been in the middle of something else or checking in when mobile , legally of course :-)

I think i will try to replicate something similar , with a similar double affair to the two hooks on the transom at the rear... that should stop it going too far ....

I have a few metres of new 12 and 14mm marlow dockline which i plan to use , i may have to buy some more though .... but for the moment i have enough to be practicing my splicing techniques ..... If i can find any specific instructions for splicing " braided dockline " .... most splicing videos seem to be about DoubleBraid etc , which dosent seem to be exactly the same .... though similar ....

As for shackles , i like the look of the snap shackles you linked to ... they seem simple and should be fairly reliable .... with tywraps to prevent accidental opening.

cheers

Ian
Old 22 August 2020, 11:11   #27

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Sorry if I didn’t pick up correctly, you’re going to moor your boat at stern? Not a good practice putting your stern to the weather especially if it’s a cut away as any wind plus chop will come over the top. Again apologies if I misunderstood you. J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 15:13   #28

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Badlands
Make: Brig Eagle 8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 350
MMSI: 232030310
I moor my 8m Rib on the Camel at Rock in Cornwall to a swing mooring bouy. I use a mooring strop to the Bow eye and then a large strong caribener stainless steel shackle to the bouys ring. Also run a strong line on a slip to the bouy fastened to the bow cleats. Fast tides in the Camel estuary and never had a problem. The stop is easy and quick to fix and release, even solo.
Old 22 August 2020, 16:40   #29

Hi jambo

I probably didnt explain myself very well .... the small harbour i am going to be mooring in has a forward and aft attachment to the mooring , i guess to stop the boat swinging round ... it is kinda exposed.

So the front will be secured facing out of the harbour , into incoming waves with the double ties like willk showed ... and at the rear position i was going to pickup the rear buoy and shackle a tie rope to each of the two eyes on the transom ....

I hope that should keep it fairly safe and steady for long enough that i can get out a few times and get some miles under my belt before the onset of winter !!!

cheers

Ian
Old 22 August 2020, 16:52   #30

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Hi jambo

I probably didnt explain myself very well .... the small harbour i am going to be mooring in has a forward and aft attachment to the mooring , i guess to stop the boat swinging round ... it is kinda exposed.

So the front will be secured facing out of the harbour , into incoming waves with the double ties like willk showed ... and at the rear position i was going to pickup the rear buoy and shackle a tie rope to each of the two eyes on the transom ....

I hope that should keep it fairly safe and steady for long enough that i can get out a few times and get some miles under my belt before the onset of winter !!!

cheers

Ian

Hi Ian.
No problem. I know that system well I use to use it myself in exactly the same circumstances. Good method I never had any problems and the harbour was small very tidal and straight out into the Atlantic.
Safe boating mate and many good days.
Cheers
Billy
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote