Old 13 August 2024, 14:40   #1

Town: POUGHKEEPSIE
UK RIB ownership paperwork

Hello. Can someone outline the legal procedure of taking ownership of a RIB? I see there is a strong RIB market in the UK. i wonder if it is feasible to grab a RIB in the UK and register it somehow( I have US citizenship). Perhaps even registering it in the USA. Than tour around the europe for a while.
Old 13 August 2024, 16:48   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorFaruk View Post
Hello. Can someone outline the legal procedure of taking ownership of a RIB? I see there is a strong RIB market in the UK. i wonder if it is feasible to grab a RIB in the UK and register it somehow( I have US citizenship). Perhaps even registering it in the USA. Than tour around the europe for a while.
You can only register a UK vessel on the Small Ships Register if you are a British Citizen or Resident in the UK. There's absolutely nothing to stop you from buying a UK RIB & exporting it to the US from our side, whether you can import it into the US is a matter for the US authorities. Apart from that, I'm not quite sure what you're actually wanting to do, your post isn't very clear. Are you wanting to buy a RIB in the UK, register it & then take it to Europe?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 16:53   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
But you don't have to register a RIB in the UK, like you would a car for example.

You can just buy it and use it with no legal documentation to say you own it unless you request a receipt from the seller.
Smaller boats here don't have to have a registration number etc.

But for export you'll need to prove for taxation purposes etc that you own it.
You are into a minefield on that one.
Old 15 August 2024, 03:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
You can only register a UK vessel on the Small Ships Register if you are a British Citizen or Resident in the UK. There's absolutely nothing to stop you from buying a UK RIB & exporting it to the US from our side, whether you can import it into the US is a matter for the US authorities. Apart from that, I'm not quite sure what you're actually wanting to do, your post isn't very clear. Are you wanting to buy a RIB in the UK, register it & then take it to Europe?
Thanks. Physically importing is not something i would be interested. The shipping cost would outweigh the benefit anyway. The US registration and flag came to my mind in case hardship of registering it in the UK as a non UK citizen or resident. And yes. I would aim to be able to leave the UK waters to europe, perhaps through the canals, eventually ending up in the meds.
Old 15 August 2024, 17:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
But you don't have to register a RIB in the UK, like you would a car for example.

You can just buy it and use it with no legal documentation to say you own it unless you request a receipt from the seller.
Smaller boats here don't have to have a registration number etc.

But for export you'll need to prove for taxation purposes etc that you own it.
You are into a minefield on that one.
What i understand is, if you have bigger than 10HP outboard, the boat must be registered. If the boat is very small with small engine, probably you can get away. Correct me if i m wrong
Old 15 August 2024, 20:15   #6

RIBase
Not in the UK. As long as it’s under 24m long there are absolutely no requirements for registration/insurance/qualifications to buy and run a private pleasure boat in coastal waters or the open sea. Inland waters are slightly different. We are (thankfully) very lightly regulated here in the UK when it comes to private pleasure craft. If you start operating commercially or taking paying passengers, that’s a different ball game. Europe is different, each country has its own rules.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 16 August 2024, 13:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Not in the UK. As long as it’s under 24m long there are absolutely no requirements for registration/insurance/qualifications to buy and run a private pleasure boat in coastal waters or the open sea. Inland waters are slightly different. We are (thankfully) very lightly regulated here in the UK when it comes to private pleasure craft. If you start operating commercially or taking paying passengers, that’s a different ball game. Europe is different, each country has its own rules.
That is indeed very lightly regulated system compared to many countries requiring at least a certificate of proficiency to operate a marine craft on top of that radio licence plus of course registration and insurance. If this is the case, i don’t see any reason why i can’t find a suitable RIB and purchase. Than i would have 6 months to roam around and decide what to do next. Thanks.
Old 16 August 2024, 16:41   #8

RIBase
Nothing to stop you buying a RIB in the UK & using it in the UK as per my post above. Taking it across the channel to Europe is a different kettle of lobsters. If you have a VHF on the RIB, “technically” you need a ships radio license for the set & an operator’s licence to use it (except in an emergency). In reality, you won’t get stopped & checked, even if you were checked, it would probably be a “please get the appropriate paperwork at your earliest convenience” telling off..That’s unless you’ve been causing a nuisance through incompetence. A ship’s radio license is free & can be done on line. A operator’s license is more involved & requires a course & passing an exam. We don’t even have any legal requirements to carry flares/lifejackets/VHF etc. You are required to comply with the COLREGS & could end up in court if you cause an accident by failing to comply. Generally we are self policing and prosecutions are rare.

Tags
rib