Old 15 August 2024, 15:39   #1

Town: Swansea
Boat name: X pro
Make: 3d tender
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp 4 stroke
Upgrade to maximum 5m

Hi all, so I’ve been looking to upgrade now for some time but can’t make my mind up and there’s a few things stopping me. Currently have 3.9 deep hull with a tiller but want something slightly larger no more than 5m as launch solo on shallow sheltered beaches 💯 of the time. Was going to buy a new boat and a used engine to save money. I’m worries about buying used ribs over 6-8 years old as unsure how long life the tubes have left in them. Am I being to paranoid? Also really unsure what deck set up I need so do I just go for a half decent used set up and just try it out to make things work and if not then sell and try the next? Don’t want to waste any more money than I already have hahaha it’s slippery slope I found. Thanks very much for any replies and any help will be very much appreciated.
Old 16 August 2024, 05:54   #2

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
If you want new look at the offerings from 3D tender they make some very nice boats at what I think is a very good price. The dealer in the UK is also very good to deal with. I have several videos of my XPRO 535 that I bought on my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/@boatingsibbingandwandering3262
Old 16 August 2024, 06:57   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks87 View Post
Hi all, so I’ve been looking to upgrade now for some time but can’t make my mind up and there’s a few things stopping me. Currently have 3.9 deep hull with a tiller but want something slightly larger no more than 5m as launch solo on shallow sheltered beaches 💯 of the time. Was going to buy a new boat and a used engine to save money. I’m worries about buying used ribs over 6-8 years old as unsure how long life the tubes have left in them. Am I being to paranoid? Also really unsure what deck set up I need so do I just go for a half decent used set up and just try it out to make things work and if not then sell and try the next? Don’t want to waste any more money than I already have hahaha it’s slippery slope I found. Thanks very much for any replies and any help will be very much appreciated.
If you buy a quality used hypalon boat they should be good for 20- 30 years if cared for pvc boats not so long . Buying a good quality used package you will probably get more for your money & possibly have money left over if you want to upgrade to a new engine later. Used engines are often difficult to find in your power bracket & buying them can be a minefield given you often cant test on the water. Generally boat hull & tubes problems can easily be spotted but running faults on a used engine not on a boat are difficult to spot. I'd rather a used boat & new engine rather than the other way around
Old 16 August 2024, 07:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
If you want new look at the offerings from 3D tender they make some very nice boats at what I think is a very good price. The dealer in the UK is also very good to deal with. I have several videos of my XPRO 535 that I bought on my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/@boatingsibbingandwandering3262
Yes I already have one and have spoken to Simon from ocean first regarding another one. Probably the 445 or 4.9m x pro. I just don’t want to struggle with launching on shallow beaches and also putting the boat back on my steep drive manually haha they are quite far from me so really need to see some set ups to see if I can fit my gear into the deck layout suitable.
Old 16 August 2024, 07:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
If you buy a quality used hypalon boat they should be good for 20- 30 years if cared for pvc boats not so long . Buying a good quality used package you will probably get more for your money & possibly have money left over if you want to upgrade to a new engine later. Used engines are often difficult to find in your power bracket & buying them can be a minefield given you often cant test on the water. Generally boat hull & tubes problems can easily be spotted but running faults on a used engine not on a boat are difficult to spot. I'd rather a used boat & new engine rather than the other way around
That’s really good to know, thanks for this. I’ve been looking the other way round haha although the used engines I’m looking for are very new with very low hours. Going to have to keep looking until the right one comes up so hopefully going into autumn there will be a few more on the market. Maybe looking at going to the Southampton boat show as well so I can see all the different set ups before I make my mind up. Thanks again.