Old 22 June 2023, 12:31   #1

Town: Ostend
Boat name: Atlas
Make: Joker
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 115 1997
Valiant PVC tubes

Hey Everyone, I need some advice. I've got my eyes on quite a nice Valiant patrol 650 that really ticked all my boxes. Except for 1 thing, it's got PVC tubes. The boat is from 2007 and only has around 300hrs on the engine. It was only ever used for leisure boating a couple months a year and the tubes don't look degraded or discoloured at al and they hold air perfectly. I am however gonna use it for regatta support purposes and our boats see a lot of abuse in terms of anchors banging in to them an lines getting hauled over the tubes. Is this a good buy or should I stay away from PVC if I'm gonna use it as a workboat??? Help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-22 143022.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	142917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-22 143044.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	142918  
Old 23 June 2023, 17:46   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

Nice looking RIB. It depends how the boat has been used previously, and from your description it's led a sheltered life! We are however talking about a 16 year old boat. PVC tends to have lifespan of 15-20 years, but if it's been kept under cover, then it could go on for years.

Anchors and ropes are all going to take their toll if used without care. The boat looks like it has tread patches, rather than anything more aggressive to counteract wear if you were specifically hauling ropes over them.

If you wanted it belt and braces - you'd probably look for a RIB with hypalon tubes, but even then you're going to want wear patches for areas of the boat's collar where you know you're going to be deploying ropes and anchors. If you're hauling anchors in, it might be worth looking at some sort of bespoke stainless steel frame with a pulley to hang over the tube.

Again if you have multiple anchors on board, then a plastic rigid pallet box would be a good investment to save your deck. Fish farms use them transporting kit out on their workboats.

To give you an idea - RIBcraft use 1100 dtex hypalon, so once you get into Orca 866 (heavy duty) you're at 1670 dtex. It's all money though once you get into specific builds and of course your budget.

Useful link here: https://www.ribtube.co.uk/technical

Tags
tubes