Click Here to Login

Old 15 August 2013, 20:34   #1

Town: Panama City
Boat name: None
Make: None
Length: 6m +
Engine: None
Value of Hysucat 6.5 vs V hull RIB?

Is generally the hydrofoil cat considered more valuable than a more standard V hull RIB in the 6.5m range? Any idea of an approximate value for an average condition 2000 hysucat 6.5 with single 2006 ETEC with 450 hr and trailer?
Old 16 August 2013, 05:44   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
They tend to be a bit of a rarity, so if you can find someone who is actively looking for one then it might have a bit more value than a conventional RIB, but generally (in the UK at least) they seem to be quite difficult to sell.
Old 16 August 2013, 14:21   #3

Thanks John, I quite like the concept, and hope that the hysucat 6.5 may give me a softer ride than say a 7.5m - 25" regular RIB with hopefully a little less fuel consumption, although I have heard that they are a bit wetter....am I right in my assumptions? Would 9000GBP - 14000$ be too much for the boat detailed above?
Old 16 August 2013, 18:49   #4
Administrator

I don't know what they're like in a big sea, but in a moderate chop the 650 is very dry and runs like a magic carpet! You may save some fuel, but those Hysucats do respond well to a heavy hand on the throttle

That price would seem to be around the right area I'd guess. You're unlikely to find many compatibles so the value is very much whatever someone is prepared to pay for it.
Old 16 August 2013, 19:38   #5

Thanks, I guess that the 2006 ETEC 115 with 450hr and the trailer alone would be worth already 4000-5000GBP, 6000-8000US$...
Would you know if the 2000 Hysucat's hull has any weaker spots to check more thorougly like for example the hydrofoils attachments, the transom, the railtrack on the deck or any hidden corner where water may stagnate?
Old 16 August 2013, 19:56   #6
Administrator

I don't know, but the RIBnet user "Hysucat" will have all the answers if you can get hold of him. It would be worth sending him a PM.
Old 19 August 2013, 15:32   #7

Town: norfolk
Boat name: meer
Make: hysucat
Engine: twin 60hp mariners
Hi Silvertriton

Ive owned a 2000 6.5m stealth for 5 years and love it. I have twin 60hp mariner 4 strokes and can cruise at 28kts with a fuel burn of about 25L hr. The ride is fantastic even in a large chop. The only down side is when you stop in a heavy sea the waves can break over the bow as it sits quite low in the water. Its in no way a wet ride very very dry I would say.

The hull is built like a tank and ive had no problems with mine, watch out for corrosion on the deck rails. Mine have gone rotten where the seat and console bolts have reacted with aluminium rail, I moved them by one hole and installed them with lots of wax oil they would be easy to change if required.

The only problem i had when i first got the boat was that it had been moored for a while with no battery cut off switches and an earth problem, this had caused electrolysis of the foil and had eaten away a lot of the welds and attaching bolts. I took the foil off and had it welded with no problems and refitted with sealant which seems to have done the trick.

There is a nack to driving and trimming which comes with practice.

The only other thing to note is that there is a hole in the fwd locker which allows air trapped under the hull as you land on a wave to escape rather than compress, this in a big sea lets some water into the hulls this is not a problem if you trailer each trip as you can pull the hull drain plugs on the ramp and let the gallon or so go. If you are permanently in the water 2 good bilge pumps are a necessity.

All in all a great boat in my opinion.

Cheers

Neil
Old 19 August 2013, 17:55   #8

Hi Neil, many thanks, what approximate value would you put on an average 2000 boat with 2006 115 ETEC 450hrs?
Old 14 October 2013, 22:45   #9

Many thanks Hysucat, I have sent you an e-mail. I am not sure about the Etec, since I prefer 4 strokes.... if I were to buy this and repower it with twin four strokes, what would be the maximum hp / weight I could mount? How much would a new set of sponsons cost ex South Africa or from the UK?

Tags
rib