Old 16 July 2023, 23:07   #1

Water in hull, Tornado 6.5m

Hi

I found a Tornado 6.5m RIB under a tarpet in a far away corner at a friends place the other day. It's been sitting there for some 15 years.
Managed to get it out of there today and towed it to my place. Gave the engine and the electrics some love and got it fired up. Pumped the tubes and she seems ready for a test drive.

However, I noticed when tipping the boat with the nose high up, that I could hear water "gurgling" inside the hull, about midship. It seemed to be quite an amount as it keep gurgling for a while.

I have not found any openings, inspection hatch or bung drain.

So, of course I would like to get the water out, and would also prefer to be able to inspect the inside of the hull.

What are you suggestions on this?

1. How to get the water out?
2. If it's a good idea to add an inspection hatch, and if so, where to put it?

Any suggestions on where the water might have gotten into the hull is also appreciated. The boat's been under a tarpet, and the tarpet seemed to hold tight, as it was full of water, but the boat underneath was dry.

Thanks!
Old 17 July 2023, 06:00   #2

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasX View Post
Hi

I found a Tornado 6.5m RIB under a tarpet in a far away corner at a friends place the other day. It's been sitting there for some 15 years.

Managed to get it out of there today and towed it to my place. Gave the engine and the electrics some love and got it fired up. Pumped the tubes and she seems ready for a test drive.

However, I noticed when tipping the boat with the nose high up, that I could hear water "gurgling" inside the hull, about midship. It seemed to be quite an amount as it keep gurgling for a while.

I have not found any openings, inspection hatch or bung drain.

So, of course I would like to get the water out, and would also prefer to be able to inspect the inside of the hull.

What are you suggestions on this?

1. How to get the water out?

2. If it's a good idea to add an inspection hatch, and if so, where to put it?

Any suggestions on where the water might have gotten into the hull is also appreciated. The boat's been under a tarpet, and the tarpet seemed to hold tight, as it was full of water, but the boat underneath was dry.

Thanks!
Could it be petrol ? Does it have an under deck fuel tank ?

Sent from my motorola edge 20 lite using RIB Net mobile app
Old 17 July 2023, 06:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
Could it be petrol ? Does it have an under deck fuel tank ?

Sent from my motorola edge 20 lite using RIB Net mobile app

Could be perhaps.

It was actually my first thought, that it was petrol going through the baffles. But I didn't realize the fuel tank could be down there. Now that you mention it I think you are right. I have to take a look to see if I can inspect the fuel tank. That's still in the to do list actually.
Old 17 July 2023, 06:50   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Could be perhaps.

It was actually my first thought, that it was petrol going through the baffles. But I didn't realize the fuel tank could be down there. Now that you mention it I think you are right. I have to take a look to see if I can inspect the fuel tank. That's still in the to do list actually.
I hope you used a remote fuel tank on the engine to fire up. Don’t use the petrol in the internal tank. Pump it out into a clear container and see what you’re dealing with. Once it’s up and running install a fuel water separator if one isn’t already there. Hopefully the hull is dry, but water can get in from any deck fixings if not sealed properly, such as console, seats, if not glassed over.
Old 17 July 2023, 09:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I hope you used a remote fuel tank on the engine to fire up. Don’t use the petrol in the internal tank. Pump it out into a clear container and see what you’re dealing with. Once it’s up and running install a fuel water separator if one isn’t already there. Hopefully the hull is dry, but water can get in from any deck fixings if not sealed properly, such as console, seats, if not glassed over.
Yes, it was fired up from an external tank with fresh fuel. Water separator filter and fuel hoses has been replaced and new fuel has been filled in the main tank.

The old fuel seemed to be ok, I'll probably use it to top up the fresh fuel.
Old 17 July 2023, 12:45   #6

From a bit of googling it seems the fuel tank capacity is 90 litres, and that's what the size of the tank inside the steering console adds up to. So I assume it does not protrude down into the hull.
Old 18 July 2023, 07:32   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
From a bit of googling it seems the fuel tank capacity is 90 litres, and that's what the size of the tank inside the steering console adds up to. So I assume it does not protrude down into the hull.
I wouldn't use 15 year old fuel even if your mixing it, you're just causing potential issues for yourself down the line. Use it for lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc.

I'd drain off the fuel in the console and then check the hull again, just to rule out any water. Do the fuel pipes run across the deck to the engine, or do they come out at a flexible witches hat grommet with underdeck trunking?
Old 18 July 2023, 18:36   #8

There's definitely water in the hull.
Now the only question is where to position the inspection hatch.

I am thinking on the center behind the seat.

Any reason not to put it there?
Old 18 July 2023, 20:09   #9

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Less likely to be a stringer on the centreline of the boat.

But I'd suggest a small hole first that you can plug easily and use a cheap Bluetooth Endoscope to have a look around before cutting the big hole.
https://www.rib.net/forum/f19/new-toy-83646.html
Old 23 July 2023, 22:28   #10

Ok, so I opened her up and got some 50 litres/15 gallons of really dark water out.

Now the worrying thing is the fact that the deck is a sandwich design with marine plywood in between the two layers of grp, and it turned out to be really wet. How the heck do I dry that out?

Second question is how it got that wet.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 24 July 2023, 07:15   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Ok, so I opened her up and got some 50 litres/15 gallons of really dark water out.

Now the worrying thing is the fact that the deck is a sandwich design with marine plywood in between the two layers of grp, and it turned out to be really wet. How the heck do I dry that out?

Second question is how it got that wet.

Any ideas anyone?
Are you saying the ply core is wet? If thats the case it will never dry out with glass either side of it. You can either leave it or cut it out.
Old 31 July 2023, 19:20   #12

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
If the deck has screw holes in it where seat, console or A frames are screwed into then water will pass to the inner hull. The boat could have been left out in the rain and it's become a bath tub.
If I remember right the stringers are glassed but the underside of the deck won't be. Where the stringers sit in the keel, a hole has been cut into them to allow water to flow out of the drain plug. There would have had to been lots of water to wet the marine ply.
Does the deck have spongy spots when you walk on it? If it's solid under foot then I wouldn't worry too much. If the boat is sat on a trailer then chock the hitch end right up to allow the hull to fully drain...I jack mine up a little and leave the drain plug out...even though I have a cover (get a cover).......don't forget to put the drain plug back though or Broncus Guru will get ya, lol.
Best of luck.