Old 11 December 2002, 09:51   #21

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Well chaps

call me a wimp but

I HATE THE COOOOOLD

I prefer my life expenacy in the water to be over 24 hours LOLOL

Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2002, 10:15   #22

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Good ideas Brian. I think that people also need to know IF they can get back onto their boat (if it is still there!) cold, in shock possibly, exhausted, trying to clamber over the tubesa with the weight of all the wet clothing and lifejacket inflated. I don't want to teach people to suck eggs, but we have to be aware that there are a lot of people who look at this site as a way of gaining knowledge. All experiences, good or bad, will hopefully educate others, or at least give them food for thought.

I think that the sea survival course is aimed at giving people an idea of what to do, it also trains in the use of liferafts, but some who are unable to do the course or select not to, should in the winter months when things are a bit quiet, review their safety drills. Good time also to fully service and check kit, WILL your lifejacket still work, do you now if there is a whistle rolled up in it? or should you get one. Do you need a strobe or lifejacket light (e.g. night driving), they are very cheap in Dover street at the moment! Do you have MOB drills, e.g. EPIRB, GPS and do you know how to work it? if not, practice.

I would think bombing along at night having a laugh, relaxed, same good fun as usual and suddenly a crew member dissapears in quite choppy seas, once you have realised, panicked, and turned, it would be very easy to lose that person, the little lifejacket light for £5 may save a life. Do you have a search light on your boat? parachute flares? it goes on and on. Everyone is different, has different budgets and no doubt experiences they could share here. If there are none out there, then maybe luck has been on everyones side, just hope you are not going to be the first, and unprepared. Some operations I have been on, although prepared and at one with my kit were very scary experiences, and that was knowing it was going to happen.

As a diver I would never dream of not ensuring my kit and my buddies was in full working order and fit for the dive. We do buddy checks, where you check each others equipment prior to going on a dive, e.g. how to release their weight belt in an emergency, where your spare regulator is to share air with them in an emergency. How many people on a RIB talk about MOB drills prior to going out, is there a throw bag? how does the GPS MOB system work if the skipper is the one that is lost, do you know how the VHF on the boat works, DO you know how to give your position if required. All simple things but I am sure there are a few who just jump on someone else's RIB, take off, and do not have clue what to do in an emergency.

Anyway I have said my bit, I hope others will add to this. It is intended as I said earlier to make people think, and learn from others experiences, so it does not happen to them.

Pete
Old 12 December 2002, 17:58   #23

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
winter

Lots of opinions very good points about practice,I am all for safety,I only got a dry suit this year it is invaluable for this time of year,I have to say I am really impressed with the whole idea of safety, MOB drills checking gear for winter and night time stuff, being prepared for problems, carring the right kit and of course wrapping up properly, this is the whole comfort of winter boating, its bad enough being wet and cold in the summer you just cant have that in the winter.Winter to me as I said before brings exciting sea conditions, waves wind, different light,more often than not you meet no one while out in the winter, and sometimes this worrys me ,I really think for winter you must go out with someone else for added safety, this can only improve your safety while out in the boat, I like to visit islands over winter they become less spoilt and devoid of visitors and interesting stuff can be washed ashore by winter storms and sometimes you can be there before others
Old 12 December 2002, 22:23   #24

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
mmm yes

Does get a bit cold up here in winter. However I've been sailing silly little dinghies for a few years and falling out regularly.

I would respectfully suggest if you're on your own the hardest bit is getting back in the boat when it's cold.

If you've got attchment points on your tubes, what about tieing a short (1m) length of rope with a loop in the end on each side of the boat.

That little step may be the one that gets you back in?

Certainly I use one if I'm out with my son as I'm about 15 stone and he'd never lift me in!

Jon
Old 13 December 2002, 06:17   #25

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Quote:
I'm about 15 stone
Lightweight!!

Keith (you need to eat more bacon sandwiches) Hart
Old 13 December 2002, 12:26   #26

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
If you have fallen in on your own then the kill cord will have cut the engine (we hope) if this is the case you can safely climb back on board over the transom. Don't know about u guess but I only weigh about 9 stone and with wet clothes on it is hard work climbing over the tubes. Over the transom is easy the cav plate on the leg makes a great step, just ensure that no one restarts the engine!!!!
Old 13 December 2002, 15:43   #27

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I would DEFINATELY NOT recommend tying yourself onto the boat !!
Sod's Law says you will go over the side and get pulled under and into the spinning props (unless you can GUARANTEE that the kill cord, which you will, of course, have remembered to fit, actually DEFINATELY works).
When leaving a rib or sib, by design or accident, it is best to go quite clear of the boat.
Tie-ons are for yachties!!
Old 13 December 2002, 20:44   #28

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Sorry guys - I didn't mean a 'tie-on'.

I meant a length of rope that you could reach up for when you're actually in the water and use as a step to get back in.

Jon
Old 14 December 2002, 23:31   #29

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
My somewhat belated reply to winter RIB'in is...

Wish i'd had a spare day since October - havent even seen my boat for weeks let alone been out in it.

Quite anoying, but i'm planning something Boaxing day!

Dan