Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 May 2020, 11:21   #1

Town: London
Length: 3m +
Zodiac - Water ingress & bung

Hi All

Stoked to have found this forum.

My brother has a Zodiac pro (Awaiting a pic of the serial plaque) which we purcashed as a bare hull. After awhile of searching we found some new, but old stock tubes that fitted.

I had a scare recently so I told him I would do some research for him. For context our lake is very cold but the sun is hot!

I had an experience where water flowed up quite fast into the hull just in front of the side criss-cross grip stripes (for lack of a better term). It come in quite fast and time I was generally scared as it was over ankle deep in about 15-20 seconds. It seems to be when the tubes are not properly inflated. The tubes tend to shrink when in the water and inflate when out due to the sun heat.

Do you think its just the inflation level that means water flows down via the slide-in tube sectionand into the hull? Or are the tubes not quite right? It seems to have no issues when they are pumped high but my brother tends to not do them as hard as I would like .

On a side note, we need a new bung as the kitchen sink isnt quite ideal right now. The local dealer quoted an atronomical amount so open to any other suppliers or 3rd party parts that can ship to New Zealand.
Old 14 May 2020, 11:23   #2

https://ibb.co/sjY6kKx
https://ibb.co/BgDsGjn

Pictures of the boat.
Old 14 May 2020, 12:04   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Looks like a 7-man Pro. What's on the back, 40 or 50hp?

Back to your question.

The Pro uses a rail system, where the inflatable PVC collar can be removed or refitted. The tube-set has a rail that interlocks with a recess in the fibreglass hull, and you can slide on.

With the collar now on, it's secured at the bow with a strap to the towing eye and at the transom on both sides. Critically, the tube doesn't just have to be inflated so it's hard, but to a specific pressure range. These Pro tubes don't have over-pressure release valves, and it sounds like it's lost significant pressure given ambient air temperature and the fact the lake is cold allowing water to enter between the rail system and the hull.

Critically - if you stuffed it (bow into a wave) you could theoretically rip the tube-set off.

You need to check tube pressures regularly, especially if you get variations in weather. Zodiac sell pressure gauges, so invest in one quickly. For the 7-Man Pro, the boat has 3 independent sections. You don't inflate to pressure individually, but gradually top -up, or you'll stress the internal baffles. I always check the pressure at rest on the trailer, launch, then check again. There-after, you just know.

I couldn't honestly tell you what the tubes are meant to be on the Pro 7-man (and I used to own one), but on my old Zodiac GT it was anywhere from 240-280mb that's about 3.5psi.

The bung is inexpensive. You would need to measure the xisting one. Ribshop sell 24mm, 40mm or 44mm variations. Zodiac Rib and inflatable boat parts and accessories
Old 14 May 2020, 13:10   #4

Thanks for the speedy response.

I think its actually a 75hp? I have sent him this post to hopefully shed more light.

They way you explain the tubes going on is exactly how it is. We have had them off to be reglued all over as they had been new, but in the sun.

I will look into pressure testers for him now and hopefully get that plug soon!
Old 14 May 2020, 13:55   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacFan View Post
Thanks for the speedy response. I think its actually a 75hp? I have sent him this post to hopefully shed more light.
Might be the next size up, which is the Pro 9-man or Pro 500 as they call it now but doesn't look big enough?

Anyway, hope your brother gets it sorted. You definitely don't want water coming in the boat!

Tags
zodiac