Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 July 2024, 16:32   #1

Length: 10m +
Zodiac Yachline tow padeye loose

Hi everyone - we have an older (redone) 2007 YACHTLINE 340 RIB which we like a lot. We pull it behind our 40’ sailboat and although it does slow us down a bit more than the smaller dinghy on the davits, it’s a more comfortable day tripper which we’ve really enjoyed.

In any case, a week ago I noticed the hull tow point (stainless padeye) was loose and rattling. In that condition, it wasn’t going to last long before destroying the fibreglass that holds it. I thought, no problem, open the inspection port under the forward seat and tighten it up - 5 minute job.

Well, when I look in the inspection port, there’s nothing to be seen! I know the thing must be somewhere around there so I check outside and make some rough measurements and darn, it’s under the sub fibreglass lining and cannot be reached! What??

I almost left it for season’s end maintenance (and tow from the well anchored stainless framework) but nope, I can’t leave it like that. So I measure and eyeball carefully and use a 1 1/2” spade bit and drill through the lining and voila! There they are - stainless lock nuts holding the stainless plate. They were loose and took a few turns to snug up but it’s now tight as can be.

I’m quite surprised that there would be no built-in inspection port to reach these critical nuts. I can send a photo for anyone with the same problem.
Old 07 July 2024, 02:03   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Do they not have a nut on the outside? Usually you can the just tighten the nuts at the eye part.

Many folks build a bridle and tow from the inside transom.

Tags
zodiac