Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
What nonsense

Aye, but don’t let that get in the way of a good trolling.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 07:01   #22

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjay View Post
Thanks to all for your advice.

Regarding the sib/boat I suspect that my purchase will be influenced by what I can find second hand within a few hours travelling time. Coming from the sea kayaking background I'm anticipating using my dry suit or dry salopettes and have lots of dry bags, so I'm not phased by the idea of some water in a v deck. The concept of the f-rib appeals, but I don't see many second hand offerings.

As to the outboard around 10hp appears to be the sweet balance between power and weight. I totally get that 2 strokes will be lighter but since my motorcycle days I've struggled with the noise, smell and relative inefficiency of them. I'm also very conscious of the need for a highly reliable engine given the vulnerability of any breakdown, particularly in the environment of NW Scotland.

Ideally I'd like to find a second hand package, but compromise within a few factors appears to be the name of the game here, so if anyone comes across something possibly appropriate then I'd be grateful for a nudge.

Thanks again for your advice and support.
Have you seen the quicksilver alu hull rib listed recently on here? It comes with a trailer & engine which is a yam 25 two stroke which maybe not for you but they sell very well, being one of the best engines in their class. Package has just been reduced recently too & maybe a cheap option with some negotiation. Regarding the frib I personally think they are the worst of both worlds, dont fold & pack as well as a sib & cost as much if not more than a proper rib, I'd imagine the tubes wont fare well being constantly folded & working like a hinge. The hull shape looks compromised (flatter) too to make them fold so probably ride worse than a proper rib.
Old 24 August 2023, 07:33   #23

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Been on a couple of trips with Scooby when he's been in his Quicksilver, and it looks good in the water.
Really nice piece of kit which has been well looked after and modified by Scooby.
In my opinion it's a bargain.
Old 24 August 2023, 08:07   #24

Town: Fort William
Thanks both I'll have a look.

I'd need a tow bar but that's certainly worth considering anyway.
Old 24 August 2023, 12:12   #25

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Been on a couple of trips with Scooby when he's been in his Quicksilver, and it looks good in the water.
Really nice piece of kit which has been well looked after and modified by Scooby.
In my opinion it's a bargain.
To be fair I dont think his advert does the boat justice, looks a little cluttered & would probably benefit from some pictures of the bare boat & engine. Additions aren't always to everyones taste, dont assume I'm being unkind but a picture tells a 1000 words & more better pictures would almost certainly help.
Quote:
Thanks both I'll have a look.

I'd need a tow bar but that's certainly worth considering anyway.
A surprising no of folks who buy folding or inflatable boats end up with trailers of some sort for them when they realise the faff & effort involved in getting a boat set up & on the water. A lot to be said for the convenience of hitching up a ready for the water outfit & dumping it in & going boating. Good luck in your search[emoji106]
Old 24 August 2023, 12:19   #26

Thanks I have messaged Scooby.

Yes I can well understand the advantages of using a trailer, especially as outdoor storage isn't a problem for me. Just need to decide which vehicle to put the towbar on, car or campervan.
Old 24 August 2023, 13:14   #27

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Yam 200HP
Both 🤷 Or campervan as you can then take it on holiday with you
Old 24 August 2023, 13:39   #28

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Thanks I have messaged Scooby.

Yes I can well understand the advantages of using a trailer, especially as outdoor storage isn't a problem for me. Just need to decide which vehicle to put the towbar on, car or campervan.
If I didn't tow a big white tin box, I'd definitely have a small <4mtr rib on a trailer.
I use a trailer for my sib when I'm on holiday, it makes life so much easier. I don't think you would regret going down the trailered route.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f49/carava...ler-86495.html
Old 24 August 2023, 18:37   #29

Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
My pal has a Honwave with Aluminium floor for sale in Fort William , it may be too hefty for your requirements.

Tags
sib