Go Back   RIBnet Forums > Buy and sell > RIBs wanted
Click Here to Login

Old 14 August 2023, 10:55   #1

Town: Fort William
Looking for suitable SIB Scotland

I'm looking to buy my first SIB and outboard. This is to build on my coastal exploration by sea kayak and my fishing interests. I'm retired but fit and active and based near Fort William.

It needs to be something suitable for solo assembly and transom wheel launching but also capable of carrying two adults and lightweight camping gear. I'm thinking 320/340 v airdeck and up to 10hp, preferably 4 stroke.

Any advice or suggestions from others with similar interests welcome and of course any suitable SIBs within a few hours drive most welcome.
Old 14 August 2023, 11:41   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sounds a sensible start point for ideas.

Re the SIB either a Honwave or Boatworld V air deck could suit*. The only thing worth mentioning is any water that gets into a V air deck SIB slops about your feet. With the flat air floor models (with sausage keel under) you do at least get a tiny "bilge" which in my experience will contain moderate splash water without it wetting kit on the floor. The downside of the flat air floor model is sometimes they can have strange issues with prop ventilation/grip but this is less of a possibility at the 3.2m size.

Ideally for on the plane performance two up with a bit of kit you need a 10hp. Because weight is very important to me I've chosen to stick with the 2-stroke Tohatsu 9.8 which is a very handy 10kg less than the 4-stroke 10hp models.

*Note re the Boatworld V air deck I think it still has transom tabs which means you need particular and rather flexy transom wheels to curve round the tabs. Honwave current models have deleted the tabs.
Old 14 August 2023, 12:02   #3

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
I’ve seen the new Boatworld V-air deck in the flesh at the showroom and can confirm the floor tabs have been omitted…following the latest Honwaves.

Hopefully not usually guilty of blindly recommending the boat we currently run but there is a virtually new Elling KB350 up for sale on here….up north as well!

SIB's spotted on eBay thread
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sibs-spotted-on-ebay-thread-68925-post865563.html

The Ellings go particularly well with smaller 10hp motors and are reasonably lightweight to pack and move around. Decent sea keeping and a dry ride to boot.
Old 14 August 2023, 12:05   #4
RIBnet admin team

That's good Boatworld have deleted the tabs.

Do you ever use the Elling two up (both adults) for "touring" type trips? We really struggled to find it ideal for our use of that type.
Old 14 August 2023, 12:55   #5

Ours goes well two up (140kilos) plus fuel, anchor tub and kit with the lightweight 9.8hp two stroke. Maxes out around 18 knots I think and gets on the plane reasonably quickly especially with a bit of judicious weight shifting. Two up with the 15 is so much better though with instant hole shot, 22 knot max and effortless cruising (15-17 knots) at a very relaxed 4000-4500rpm.

We don’t go touring per se but many a coastal day trip of plus 40nm bay hopping in varied conditions. Seem to recall you not keen on the ride in chop, but we find it ok and certainly no worse than our T38 or other sibs were. In fact if able to maintain planing speeds in chop, then working the air cushion can provide a smoother ride than the average mono hull sib.
Old 15 August 2023, 09:25   #6
RIBnet admin team

I think my impression is due to weight, engine power... and age. All these being fixed factors for us.

We are about 35kg more than you, usually plus 10kg dog and I'm guessing you don't take the kitchen sink. I can imagine with a lighter load and/or a 15hp you could make progress in a better way than we could. Our main problem was in anything other than near flat water the air floor near the bow and under Mrs F's seat would come down on waves with a hard and uncomfortable slap. With our load and just the 9.8 we couldn't change the attitude to any degree to stop this happening.
Old 15 August 2023, 13:44   #7

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
I've copied this from your other thread, so as to keep continuity re: "Looking for a suitable sib"

Hi Enjay and welcome, what a lovely part of the world to retire in (apart from the midges!)

Here's my take on it. If I was solo, not camping and performance was the main criteria, I would definitely go for one of the V decks. Either the Honwave T32 ie3 or the Boatworld Air V330. Spec on paper is very similar, however seeing both in the flesh I would say that IMO the T32 edges it on quality, but is that quality worth an extra £350???

2 up, touring with camping gear. I would want a flat deck, sausage keel (water drains away from the deck) and to have as much internal width as possible so as not to be cramped.

2 suggestions, Boatworld 320AD & Excel SD330.
Although they appear similar, they are very different.

SD330 - 1.1mm pvc
320AD - 0.9mm pvc

SD330 - 5 yr gtee
320AD - 3 yr gtee

SD330 - int 226 x 80
320AD - int 240 x 66

SD330 - 48kg
320AD - 36kg??

There is a big difference in weight, however the reasons for that are IMO all posative. Heavier gauge pvc, double seamed on stress points, wider internally and a much "beefier" transom.
The downside to that extra width & weight is max speed, the SD330 will be slightly slower under the same conditions. IMO the SD330 is a better quality sib, but full disclosure - I have an Excel SD360.

The big advantage with both airdecks is the overall weight can be split up. For example SD330 main sib approx 36kg - the airdeck, seats, oars 12kg.
Obviously this makes what appears to be heavy lump much more manageable.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the KB350 apart from the reviews I have read, which in the main have been posative
Old 15 August 2023, 14:01   #8

Thanks Steve, I appreciate your time and comments.

I'd already been looking at and considering the Boat World options and have been in touch with them about these and the availability of the fittings for the Elling. They still have stock of the fittings which is a plus for considering the one which is possibly available. It's really difficult to get my head around the ease or difficulty of launching solo, so I think my next step probably needs to be either finding a local SiB owner or visiting a supplier.
Old 15 August 2023, 14:22   #9

Launching solo does become easier when you have done it a few times and figured out the best way to move heavy, awkward things about. Think trolley's, sack barrows, ramps and creepers.
A local sib owner who launches solo all the way for me. A supplier no matter who, will always point you in the direction they wish you to go
Old 15 August 2023, 17:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I think my impression is due to weight, engine power... and age. All these being fixed factors for us.

Three score years and seven here so structurally compromised also. Load up with a fair amount of kit including a 5 kilo elec aux so not really travelling that light to be honest.

Think you’re locked into the psyche running the ‘best of the best’ with the Aerotec, so nowt else comes close. Might well be true but we’ve moved on and found there is indeed life after the Aerotec
Old 15 August 2023, 18:56   #11
RIBnet admin team

Despite my frequent nods towards having to deal with our SIB and outboard in the best way possible... for folks creeping towards their senior years... by staying ahead of the game I still find solo setting up and launching OK at 67 (hi five Chipko). Mrs F is usually wandering about with the dog so mostly I do everything myself from opening the car tailgate and assembling to pushing the outfit into the water on its transom wheels.

My SIB is a light 43kg air floor model and I now pack/travel with the air floor out bringing the main bag down to a manageable 36kg and the 9.8 outboard a very light at 26kg. In recent years I've dropped from a 25l fuel tank to a 12l (plus 5l top up can if needed on longer days out). I've lost the battery powered fish finder/plotter and it's mounting in favour of a light integral battery handheld GPS. I've always used transom wheels but now use a bow trolley too so I am just pulling the outfit along not carrying its nose weight as well.

So currently I have an outfit that is a doddle to pull along the road and launch/recover single handed. Importantly no one item of the setup is too heavy for a single handed lift.
Old 15 August 2023, 21:19   #12

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Do you definitely need a boat that folds? If you have storage for a trailered boat the new generation of lightweight aluminium ribs beat a sib in every way except price & folding. A trailered boat is going to be easier to launch & less lifting of engines etc as they can remain fitted. Many folk buy sibs thinking they will pack away every time only to discover they are such a faff they give up or buy a trailer to transport it on.
Something to think about if you have a garage to store it in
Old 16 August 2023, 10:25   #13

Well I certainly have the edge on some of you in age as in my 70th year, i.e. 69

I could find outdoor space for rib storage but I'm currently building a garage extension to house the crap in the garage so I can get my classic car indoors. I'd also need to get a tow hitch etc etc Is outdoor under tarpaulin storage a sensible option?
Old 16 August 2023, 12:10   #14

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjay View Post
Well I certainly have the edge on some of you in age as in my 70th year, i.e. 69

I could find outdoor space for rib storage but I'm currently building a garage extension to house the crap in the garage so I can get my classic car indoors. I'd also need to get a tow hitch etc etc Is outdoor under tarpaulin storage a sensible option?
Keeping the uv off is key , many boats are stored outside without covers but if you can get it covered then it will definitely prolong the life
Check out the weights of some of these, lighter than some similar sibs. No idea what these specific boats are like but gives an idea on sizes & weights etc
https://oceanfirstmarine.co.uk/colle...r-featherlight
Old 16 August 2023, 19:00   #15

Town: Aberdeen
Boat name: F-rib
Make: F-rib
Engine: Yamaha 6HP
Quote:
I'm looking to buy my first SIB and outboard. This is to build on my coastal exploration by sea kayak and my fishing interests. I'm retired but fit and active and based near Fort William.

It needs to be something suitable for solo assembly and transom wheel launching but also capable of carrying two adults and lightweight camping gear. I'm thinking 320/340 v airdeck and up to 10hp, preferably 4 stroke.

Any advice or suggestions from others with similar interests welcome and of course any suitable SIBs within a few hours drive most welcome.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can store a Folded F-rib 330 or 360 ( 1.1mx1.1mx0.5m ) then I will go for that and with a 10HP Yamaha or Honda

If that would not be possible then I will probably choose an Honwave T32i with the same 10HP yamaha / honda 4 stroke

Have them both and performing impeccable on the sea
Old 17 August 2023, 09:32   #16

Thanks to all for your advice.

Regarding the sib/boat I suspect that my purchase will be influenced by what I can find second hand within a few hours travelling time. Coming from the sea kayaking background I'm anticipating using my dry suit or dry salopettes and have lots of dry bags, so I'm not phased by the idea of some water in a v deck. The concept of the f-rib appeals, but I don't see many second hand offerings.

As to the outboard around 10hp appears to be the sweet balance between power and weight. I totally get that 2 strokes will be lighter but since my motorcycle days I've struggled with the noise, smell and relative inefficiency of them. I'm also very conscious of the need for a highly reliable engine given the vulnerability of any breakdown, particularly in the environment of NW Scotland.

Ideally I'd like to find a second hand package, but compromise within a few factors appears to be the name of the game here, so if anyone comes across something possibly appropriate then I'd be grateful for a nudge.

Thanks again for your advice and support.
Old 17 August 2023, 20:04   #17

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Thanks to all for your advice.

Regarding the sib/boat I suspect that my purchase will be influenced by what I can find second hand within a few hours travelling time. Coming from the sea kayaking background I'm anticipating using my dry suit or dry salopettes and have lots of dry bags, so I'm not phased by the idea of some water in a v deck. The concept of the f-rib appeals, but I don't see many second hand offerings.

As to the outboard around 10hp appears to be the sweet balance between power and weight. I totally get that 2 strokes will be lighter but since my motorcycle days I've struggled with the noise, smell and relative inefficiency of them. I'm also very conscious of the need for a highly reliable engine given the vulnerability of any breakdown, particularly in the environment of NW Scotland.

Ideally I'd like to find a second hand package, but compromise within a few factors appears to be the name of the game here, so if anyone comes across something possibly appropriate then I'd be grateful for a nudge.

Thanks again for your advice and support.
2 Stroke outboards a way more reliable than modern 4 strokes
Old 17 August 2023, 20:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Dennis you have far more experience and knowledge regarding OBs than I ever will, but does that include EFI's?
Old 17 August 2023, 20:29   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post

Really?????